Berkeley Folk Dancers (BFD) is America’s largest folk dance club. Now in our 82nd year, Berkeley Folk Dancers is a group of nearly 120 people of all ages who enjoy doing a great variety of folk dances. All kinds of people belong to BFD, from teenagers to retired people. Couples and singles are equally welcome. Lessons on multiple levels are held weekly and request dance nights once weekly.
Become a BFD Member
Berkeley Folk Dancers’ in-person classes appear afternoons at Northbrae Community Church or evenings at Live Oak Recreation Center:
Northbrae Community Church, 1:30-3:00pm.
- Tuesday afternoon: Beginners with Andy Partos
- Thursday afternoon: Intermediate with Marija Hillis
Live Oak Recreation Center, 7:45-9:45pm.
- Monday evening: Advanced with Yaqi Zhang
- Tuesday evening: Intermediate with David Hillis and Marian Snyder
- Wednesday evening: Advanced/Intermediate with Marija Hillis
- Thursday evening: Beginner with Helen Brown and Marian Snyder
- Friday evening: Request night
The fee for each session is $5. Vaccination ID and mask required.
- The first time you visit BFD, you must bring proof (either a card or an image on your phone) of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which means that you’ve had both shots and at least 2 weeks have passed since the second shot. Your proof will be checked and put on record.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated, you may instead show proof of a negative COVID test that you’ve taken within the two days preceding the class. You will have to do that every time you come until you are fully vaccinated.
- You must sign a COVID-19 liability waiver the first time you enter.
- You will not be required to wear a mask in the dance room but BRING A MASK ANYWAY. That’s because Northbrae Church requires mask wearing at all times in the hallways and bathrooms.
Afternoon classes meet at Northbrae Community Church, 1:30-3:00pm.
Evening classes meet at Live Oak Recreation Center, 7:45-9:45pm.