News and Views
- Give the gift of folk dance - Do you have friends that especially enjoy social activities such as dance, are interested in international cultures, ethnic dance performances, or perform dance themselves? Are they dance students, professionals, educators, administrators, or advocates, young or old? If they are not already members consider starting their year by giving them the gift of membership in the […]
- Wildfires in Santa Rosa Displace Residents, Folk Dancers - In Santa Rosa, Marilyn Smith is a well respected, long-time folk dance teacher who leads the Razzmatazz Folk Dance Club. Teaching folk dance classes in Santa Rosa since 1970, Marilyn always welcomes and encourages newcomers to join her class and holds special events and parties throughout the year with the club. However, the latest club […]
- Berkeley Folk Dancers featured in KDFC Neighborhood Arts Spotlight - Berkeley Folk Dancers is honored to be selected as one of 8 lesser known Bay Area non-profit art organizations featured in the Classical KDFC Neighborhood Arts Spotlight the week of September 4th through the 10th! Other awardees include the Golden Gate Opera in Marin County, Vallejo Symphony, San Francisco Women Artists, and others. The Berkeley […]
- Dance clubs warned to vacate Palo Alto First Baptist - Several mid-Peninsula dance groups are now scrambling for space after receiving notices from the City of Palo Alto prohibiting use of its First Baptist Church for dance events due to zoning laws. The church is fighting this order, and Stanford Folk Dancers, Moveable Feet and the Peninsula Folk Dance Council have all filed letters requesting […]
- Why Did YOU Start Folk Dancing? - In 2014, Let’s Dance! magazine began running an occasional cartoon illustrating the answer to the question: Why did YOU start folk dancing? What follows are the cartoons that have been published as of January 2017. Artwork is by Susan Gregory, text by Loui Tucker. Click on each cartoon for a magnified image.
- Why do we dance? - At the Statewide 2016 Folk Dance Festival, dancers were asked to write about how dancing has enriched their life. Below are some of the responses. “Folk dancing lights up my life!” “Folk dance gave me an extended family. “ “Folk dancing is my exercise program, social life, and my life-long learning activity.” “It’s wonderful to […]