Free virtual camp via Zoom
The Scandia Camp Mendocino 2022 program will feature dance, music, and more from Norway and Sweden, presented by instructors from those countries and the United States including:
- Polsdans fra Finnskogen a popular dance found on both sides of the border between Norway and Sweden (about Finnskogen)
- Dances from Hälsingland and Dalarna, areas of Sweden with various dance traditions (about Hälsingland) (about Dalarna)
- Gammeldans a collection of what we call old time dances from Norway (What is gammeldans?)
- Scandinavian dance fundamentals, including Hambo and waltz
- Norwegian Fiddle, featuring tunes to accompany dance traditions being taught
- Swedish Fiddle, featuring some of the teacher’s favorite tunes.
- Beginning Scandinavian Fiddle
- Hardanger Fiddle, a uniquely Norwegian fiddle with understrings (more information)
- Nyckelharpa (a keyed fiddle), the national folk instrument of Sweden (more information)
- Group Playing (allspel/samspel) all instruments welcome – Learn the most common/popular tunes for dances and play along at the parties.
- Cow Horn, a wind instrument made from a cow horn
- Singing, with emphasis on songs from Foldal
- Welcome Session
- Culture Sessions
- Chat Rooms and Scandinavian Videos
- Dance Parties
- Jam Sessions
The mission of Scandia Camp Mendocino is to provide culturally unique enriching opportunities to learn about and actively experience the dance, music and cultural traditions of Scandinavia (primarily Norway and Sweden) in a welcoming community.
Schedule, list of instructors, and more at http://scandiacamp.org