Events generally in Northern California
Scandia Camp 2021
June 11 - June 14Free
Free virtual camp via Zoom
The Scandia Camp Mendocino 2021 program will feature dance, music, and more from Norway and Sweden, presented by instructors from those countries and the United States, including:
- Scandinavian dance fundamentals, including Hambo and waltz
- Springleik, a dance from Vågå, a town in Gudbrandsdal Norway (about Gudbrandsdal)
- Dances from Dalarna, an area of Sweden with various dance traditions (about Dalarna)
- Fiddle Classes, featuring tunes to accompany dance traditions being taught
- Singing, with emphasis on songs from Gudbrandsdal
- Nyckelharpa (a keyed fiddle), the national folk instrument of Sweden
- Hardanger fiddle, a uniquely Norwegian fiddle with understrings
- Cow horn, a wind instrument made from a cow horn (historic form of mobile phone)
- Group playing (allspel/samspel) all instruments welcome – Learn the most common/popular tunes for dances and play along at the parties.
- Beginning Scandinavian fiddle classes
- Culture sessions and crafts too
The mission of Scandia Camp Mendocino is to provide culturally unique enriching opportunities to learn about and actively experience the dance, music and cultural traditions of Scandinavia (primarily Norway and Sweden) in a welcoming community.
( https://tinyurl.com/EL-SC2021 )
Scandia Camp is offering multiple concurrent events from Friday, June 11 to Monday, June 14. The camp has a virtual Entrance Lobby to get you to the sessions of your choice and to change between sessions. In the Entrance Lobby you will find the day’s schedule with a time zone selector and the classes arranged in three Zoom locations called the Dance Hall, Lounge, and Dining Hall.
Scandia Camp is FREE but you must register!
Federation members can add or update their upcoming dance events to the calendar by sending event details to email@example.com