Events generally in Northern California
Global Folk Dance Party
April 17 @ 3:00 pm - 6:30 pmFree
Connect Globally, Dance Locally. Follow folk dance leaders and dance watching enthusiasts worldwide.
Join the Global Folk Dance Party team for a party named “Double Name Dances and Other Favorites.” For a sneak preview, here are a few of the dances: Galyam Galyam, Zek Zek Dadumle and Rum Dum Dum. Guest dance leaders will include Michael Ginsburg, Melissa Miller, and Lew Smith.
We welcome your dance requests — and they don’t need to be Double Name! Send your requests as well as with any questions you might have. Alicia La Fetra, Lisa Michael, and Stacy Rose will be happy to help (we are the communications branch of the Global Folk Dance Team).
Lew Smith started folk dancing in 1966 and led folk dancing at UCSB in the late ’60’s and at SJSU in the early ’70’s. Lew is also a member of the Balkan band Svirači.
Melissa Miller (aka Ghanima Gaditana) has been folk dancing since childhood, and teaches and performs belly dance in the Bay Area and beyond. She also performs regularly with the band Svirači.
Michael Ginsburg has always been interested in Balkan music and dances, especially Macedonian and Serbian. He is an expert in the complicated rhythms of Balkan music and has made several research trips to Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia, and studied in Macedonia with Pece Atanasovski, with whom he made research tours of the country. Michael has been on the teaching staff of the Macedonian Pearl seminar in Berovo, Macedonia. Michael lives in Yonkers, NY.
- Connect and dance in our own homes
- Watch people leading dances from around the world
- Submit requests and chat online
- See each other; listen and dance to our favorites
Join The Party
https://zoom.us/j/600066908 Meeting ID: 600 066 908
- IMPORTANT – Do not use both computer and phone; you will generate feedback.
- Zoom will best be viewed using side by side mode. See https://bit.ly/39dximU for info.
- When in the meeting, click the ‘chat’ button to chat with everybody and make requests.
- When you sign into Zoom, enter your name and city so we know where you’re from!
To dial in by phone: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
By Facebook Live
if Zoom is full or you just want to watch.
For more details and requests e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federation members can add or update their upcoming dance events to the calendar by sending event details to email@example.com